With the rise of social media, and its adoption by brands for marketing, emerges the discipline of social media analytics. The likes on a Facebook page can help us gauge its popularity. But, does it stop there? No! We discover a behavioral pattern which gives us an insight into the perception of the people. In order to understand the metrics of social media, we need to comprehend certain elements.
- Digital Footprint: Every action on social media leaves an impact on people. It allows people the room to explore ideas and follow them as per their choices. In the beginning, there is an idea or a thought or an action. There is an urge to make the idea publicly known. And then follows the series of ‘likes’ and ‘comments’. The pattern of likes and comments reflects the interests and choices of people.
- Defining goals: Different goals require different kind of analysis. It is very important to understand your goals and then define them to attract the right readership. For instance, if you want to write about food, you need to describe the core elements augmented with pictures to fascinate the audience.
- Target audience: Social media analytics helps you identify your target audience. If you are flowing with the currents of time, the youth would be better able to connect with your concepts. The older generation might show interest in the contemporary politics. The younger generation might be intrigued by history.
- Sentiment analysis: Sentiment analysis is an inexact science. There is no uniformity in how the people speak and behave. One can go for opinion mining as useful trend indicator but that isn’t a gospel.
- Identifying patterns: This is at the core of social media analytics. It would help social media professionals to make better decisions in their social media strategies.
Awareness, consideration, intent and decision create the foundation of social media analytics. Enhance the process of tracking your content to determine the overall impact your content is delivering to your business. It is also important to find out what types of content resonate most with your audience at each point in the customer journey.
What relevance does social media analytics hold today? With the growth of social media as a marketing strategy, arrives the need of analysis. There is a collection, aggregation and standardization of social media data to discover and communicate meaningful patterns. Data is simplified from dozens of networks, millions of people and a variety of activities.
What is and what is not working? This is answered by social media analytics. Social media is competitive and on fire constantly. Test and track your results so that, you can identify the most effective strategies for your content.
Analysis is the key word. Analyze your followers, analyze the reach and results of your posts, compare platforms and save your precious time! It is with the help of social media analytical tools that you will become a maven in social media world.